If our off-peak visitors tend not shout about their winter breaks too loudly, there are a few good reasons. The quieter beaches and attractions are one reason; clear roads and beautiful winter scenery would also appear high on the list. Factor in some of our best offers of the year and some great seasonal highlights and you have all the makings of a cracking mini break. Here are five great reasons to plan your own late winter escape:
1. Log fired entertainment on the beach: Just a short hop from our doors, Lusty Glaze beach is not just a cosy evening out but a great place to sample a tipple or two and some superb live music. From classic jazz and blues to some of the region’s best folk artists, winter evenings can be a warm and entertaining experience. What could be better than a real log fire and authentic sounds to conjure up some winter cheer? More info here: www.lustyglaze.co.uk/woodburner-sessions/
2. Winter wildlife: While most people would vouch for the beauty of a frosty winter’s day, they might also assume that most of the wildlife is asleep. Surprisingly, this is rarely the case. With less human traffic around, many animals are fairly bold and easy to spot at this time of the year as they prepare for spring. Goss Moor Nature Reserve is just one of several great sites in Cornwall where there are trails to roam and plenty to spot. Bird watchers love the site for its incredible variety of bird life, but the other highlight are herds of pretty roe deer commonly seen as evening approaches. For directions and further info click here. Another gem very nearby is Cubert Wildlife Walk. Don’t forget your camera!
3. Classic heritage, minus the crowds: Even the frostiest of winter days out in Cornwall has a silver lining. The extra time and space afforded by fewer visitors makes winter a great time to explore heritage attractions at entirely your own pace, with nobody’s kids running riot or tourists taking selfies. Huer’s Hut is a classic little detour for anyone curious about Cornish history, for example, while properties such as Trerice House (Open from Feb 14th onwards) offer days out in some truly distinguished settings.
4. Explore another world: If you’ve ever visited a popular attraction during the school holidays, it can be a less than relaxing experience. What a difference the season makes with Cornwall highlights such as Newquay’s wonderful Blue Reef Aquarium. If you ever dreamt of having the place to yourself, and perhaps getting some great pictures with minimal interference, now is the time! You can receive a discount if you book tickets online, but the added time and space are truly priceless!
5. Service for less: You can be as active or lazy as you like at the Hotel Bristol. Sporty types will love the lower rates and less crammed winter timetable at our local Heron Tennis Centre, which includes indoor courts. That said, there’s no shame in spending a day or two completely at leisure. When was the last time you allowed yourself a perfectly laid back afternoon? Perhaps a stroll along the beach, followed by one of our classic English Cream Teas Would hit the spot? First rate service and beautiful views come as standard, whatever the time of year.
Off Peak Offers on Winter Escapes: For some exceptional deals on winter breaks in Cornwall, take a look at our current offers. Besides a special low rate, we are also offering the third night of any short break absolutely free until the end of March.See our offers page for full details HERE